Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Matriculation and More

I am officially a member of Oxford University! On Saturday, we all dressed in sub fusc (black and white with gowns and bows), marched to Exam Schools in rows of three (six of us African Studies students were together, so it was a fun walk), and listened to a few phrases in Latin. It was a quick ceremony - maybe only 10 minutes - but I loved the tradition and ceremony of it all! I felt like I was part of the great history of this university and the long line of students who have gone before. Plus, we had a fabulous brunch in college, though I still am not used to having beans with breakfast instead of grits :)

Afterwards, ten of us went punting (sort of like a gondola boat) near Magdalen (pronounced Maudlin) Bridge. The sun was out, the leaves were falling - it was perfect! A very Oxford day, indeed.

On Sunday, eight of us Ambassadorial Scholars got together for an informal brunch (two brunches in one weekend = happiness) and to discuss our group project for the year: we are going to try to work on raising money for lapdesks for children in South Africa - more to come!! I am enjoying getting to know the other scholars because we all have a deep interest in public service and share a lot in common.

In the evening, with a few friends from my house, I attended Evensong - an Anglican service famous for boys' choirs. A few colleges have it, but we attended Christ Church, where Harry Potter was filmed (and other - arguably - more important events have occurred, I am sure). The atmosphere was incredible, and the choir soothing.

And Monday evening was my first presentation to a Rotary Club! The Haddenham members were incredibly welcoming, and the environment was relaxed and intimate - we met in the back room of a great little pub. I had a blast! Everyone even participated in my interactive lesson in southern phrases! It was a truly great place to give my first presentation, and I hope to see some of the members again at other events. Plus, I loved seeing John and Gyl! They give me such a great feeling of warmth and of being at home.

And, of course, I have been attending class and doing lots of work. My preconceptions are being challenged every day!

In case you can't tell, I love Oxford!!

No comments: