Thursday, September 25, 2008

England!

I am finally here! Over the last couple days, I've been staying with John, my wonderful Rotary counselor, and his wife, Gyl, in their beautiful cottage in Kirtlington. We drove around the countryside, ate in an English pub, and attended Bicester Rotary Meeting (John's home club), where everyone was so welcoming.

On Wednesday, with the Bicester Club, we spent a fabulous day in London: a special tour of Parliament and meeting with Bicester's MP, a performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Globe Theater, and dinner on the 8th floor of the Oxo Tour overlooking the city skyline. I was so impressed by the history and traditions of Parliament, and the play was absolutely hilarious (I cried from laughter). It was an incredibly memorable day, and I feel so fortunate to have been a part of the trip. Gyl said that many Britons will never do these things, and I did them in my second day! And, I have even been somewhere the queen hasn't (she is not allowed to enter the House of Commons)!

Today, I moved into my small but nice college accommodations. And tomorrow all the Rotary students leave for Link Weekend in Birmingham (a sort of orientation for all the students in the UK and Ireland)!

No comments: